Currently in school in Durham, NC
Ten favorite bands/musicians
1. The Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
4. John Mayer
5. Elton John
6. Sarah McLachlan
8. Massive Attack
Ten favorite movies
1. The Matrix (Sorry to say, but I did love the entire trilogy... which is definitely quite contrary to popular opinion :D)
2. Star Wars (mainly the Original Trilogy)
3. Lord of the Rings (trilogy)
4. V for Vendetta
5. Pirates of the Caribbean
6. Little Miss Sunshine
9. Harry Potter (Fifth was my favorite)
Five favourite books, and why
1. Harry Potter series- Because I grew up with it, and I have a very strong attachment to its characters. Also, I think that going to Hogwarts would be the most awesome thing in the world, if it existed.
2. Lord of the Rings- Because you really can't get a much more classic fantasy than this. Even though I don't really love Frodo that much, there are enough other interesting side characters to keep me entertained... and Middle Earth is just so well thought-out that you can't help but love it.
3. 1984- I first read this in the seventh grade, and it was my first exposure to dystopian sci-fi. This has been my favorite subgenre of science fiction ever since, and has given me lots to think about over the years.
4. The Hitchhiker's "Trilogy"- Ummm, because Douglas Adams is a genius. I don't think there's too much more I can say.
5. His Dark Materials- I've loved these books ever since I was in middle school. I cannot, and will not, bring myself to see the Golden Compass movie for fear of tarnishing my good vision of the saga.
That's a toss-up between coffee and Earl Gray tea with milk and sugar.
I'm a Mexican food junkie... and I'm not talking Tex-Mex, I'm talking authentic Mexican food.
Why do you think you're uncool?:
I think that I'm uncool because I waste way too much of my time in fandoms. Any time that I don't spend studying (which is quite a bit of time, given that I'm a huge overachiever), I'm pretty much spending online reading fan fiction, going on forums, etc. I'm a total Harry Potter nerd, and I'm way too obsessed with The Matrix for my own good. Also, I'm in college and studying biology and neuroscience... and I actually enjoy it.
Any pet peeves?:
I can't stand hypocrites. Just... make up your mind and stick with it, okay? Also, I don't tend to get along very well with people who constantly try to convert me to their religion.
Motto or personal quote?:
"There is no spoon."
What four words best describe you?:
What is your biggest fear, and why?:
Failure. I guess I just place so much of my self-worth on success that if I failed at something, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.
What are your hobbies?:
You mean... things that aren't studying? Ummm, horseback riding, playing around online, reading, drinking coffee and tea, getting friends hooked on my fandoms.
If you could be another person for a day, who would it be, and why?:
I would want to be some already-established scientist, just to see what that career would be like. Currently, I can't decide whether I want to be a research scientist (neuroscientist, specifically) or a veterinarian, so that might help a little bit.
Views on . . .:
I'm definitely pro-choice. I think that it should be up to the woman, and the woman alone, to decide what to do with her kid. Simple as that.
I'm agnostic. I think my scientific mind just makes me want to demand proof of everything, and religion is no exception.
I'm actually kind of politically apathetic. If I had to pick a party to identify with, though, I'd probably have to say the Libertarians.
*shrug* If you want to do them, have at it. It's a free country.
Is there another issue that you feel strongly about?
Briefly elaborate on the issue and your stance:
Animal rights... but don't get off thinking that I'm one of those crazy PETA people, because I'm not. I just love animals so much (in my experience, they're better than most of the people that I have to deal with), and they just don't deserve to get taken advantage of and get put into horrible positions because they may not be able to defend themselves. Everyone on this planet, animals included, should get the opportunity to live the best life that they can.
What is your most prized possession?:
Making it to the semi-finals of the Jeopardy Teen Tournament
Most embarrassing moment?:
Probably when I thought I was alone in my dorm room and I started dancing (really badly) to strange techno music... only to have my roommate come in and find me.
Goals for the future?:
Neuroscientist or veterinarian
If you had $5.00, how would you spend it?:
On expensive coffee.
What is your guilty pleasure?:
Fan fiction... reading it, writing it, everything.
Tell us a joke.:
Umm, here's one I found about my university:
Q: How many Duke students does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: A whole frat-- but only one of them is sober enough to do it.
Would you give your life for something or someone? If so, who or what would it be, and why?
If any member of my family was threatened and the only chance to save them was to lay down my life, then I would do it without any hesitation. Outside of the family... I don't know... maybe I would if I cared about the person enough. I would also be willing to do so for something that I believed really strongly in.
How did you find the_uncool_club?:
By searching "The Matrix" under interests :D
Oh, and do you want a picture? Here (me at the release party for 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' last July):